Having a gun in your home is a very common nowadays. When it comes to protecting yourself and your family, time can be of the essence. Waiting for the police to arrive often could mean life or death. Many are not willing to take that risk. However, having a gun in your home can also be a detriment if not stored properly in a home defense safe.
The Struggle of Storing a Gun Safely
Many gun owners rely on dressers, cupboards, or up on shelves as a place to “store” their gun. As many of us with children know, kids can get into anything when our back is turned for just a second. Even though we feel we have put our gun in a “safe” place statistics show that in a lot of cases this is just not true. This is often a fatal mistake made not just by new gun owners, but experienced ones as well.
My gun was in our top dresser for the longest time, until I realized one day my children were getting taller and could easily reach in there and grab it. I found a better solution some people are hesitant with.
Many gun owners like myself own safes. I’ve talked with many gun owners however, who do not like keeping their handguns that they use for home defense, in a big safe. What good will it do locked away, downstairs, in some inconspicuous spot if you need it at a moment’s notice? Not much. I agree. There are other great safe options for home defense guns though.
Home Defense Safe Options
When it comes to storing a home defense gun in a safe there three things you want to make sure of.
- That the safe can be hidden and out of the way.
- That getting into the safe is quick and easy for you.
- That the safe is secure and not easy for children to get into.
Safe #1: GunVault’s Biometric SpeedVault
The Biometric SpeedVault safe is great for so many options.
- It comes with hardware that allows it to be secured in different locations, under a desk, in a closet, or even to a wall.
- It uses your fingerprint to give you access, so it is very secure. It can hold up to 120 different fingerprints so your wife, or husband, or significant other can also get access to the safe.
- It has a 18-gauge steel construction so it’s heavy duty and very hard to break into.
- It has a backup override key if needs be.
I love this safe. It is small, easy to hide, easy to access, and is not that expensive. Depending on where you buy it, you can get it for a couple hundred dollars. This safe is also recommended by Gunsdigest.
Safe #2: Sentry Safe Quick-Access Biometric Pistol Safe
Another great option is the Sentry Quick-Access Safe. Like the GunVault Biometric SpeedVault you can access this gun via your fingerprint. However, I like this safe because you ALSO can access it through a 4-digit code, OR an actual key. This gives the safe owner more options to choose from. Some other great features include:
- Strong steel construction, making it hard to break into.
- It is small so you can hide it in many different locations.
- Affordable. It can be yours for a only a couple hundred dollars.
This safe is great for those who are weary of fingerprint access safe. Don’t just take my word for it though, it also has great reviews from customers at Cabelas.
Safe #3: V-Line Top Drawer Safe
My third pick for a home defense gun safe is for all of you old-school gun owners out there. The V-Line Top Drawer Safe is a great safe, that does not require fancy, biometric or electrical entry. It does not require batteries like the other two safes. Instead to gain access you use a 5 button, push button mechanical lock. This safe is great for many reasons:
- It can hold up to, two handguns.
- Has pre-drilled holes in it to make mounting it easy.
- Made from heavy duty steel, making breaking into it difficult
- Affordable. At most places you can find this gun for less than $200.
This gun is great affordable safe, that allows you to keep your handguns secure and out of the way.
All three of these home defense safes are great options for storing your self-defense handgun. They make it so your handguns are easily accessible to you, while not being so to young children or others. They are also very affordable and easy to hide. I would recommend any of these three safes to someone wanting to find a better and safe storing solution to their gun.